In the first part of the article introducing vSAN capabilities At VMware vSphere, this technology and its benefits are explored, including software-based integrated data center management, high-level deployment and security capabilities for using vSAN, and reduced overall cost of ownership with data protection. This section introduces the capabilities of this technology, including full integration with vSphere, VM-centric policy-based management, Single Pane of Glass management, partial and accurate nondestructive Flash optimization and scal-out, duplicate data compression and compression. , Erasure Coding, vSAN encryption, Stretched clusters with local protection, Quality of Service or QoS, vSAN performance authentication services, iSCSI Access, vSAN Support Insight, 2-Node Direct Connect, Full-Featured PowerCLI, Built-in crash tolerance Enhanced accessibility and Project Hatchway will be covered.
- Full integration with vSphere : vSAN is embedded within the vSphere kernel and optimizes data I / O paths to achieve the highest levels of performance with minimal impact on CPU and memory.
- VM-centric Policy-Based Management: vSAN is part of a larger VMware SDDC stack that uniquely delivers consistent VM-centric operations through Policy-based management. Using Simple Policies, regular Tasks are automated and Storage resources are balanced to reduce management time and optimize HCI efficiency.
- Single Pane of Glass : vSAN management natively integrates with the SDDC stack interface, eliminating the need to train and work with dedicated Storage interfaces. VMware vRealize Operations in VMware vCenter provides fast visibility into a vSAN implementation with extensive monitoring and in-depth analysis, all from vCenter.
- Optimizing for Flash : vSAN Caching Built-In on server-side Flash devices minimizes storage latency and delivers 50% more IOPS than previously possible. The vSAN All-Flash can be implemented for less than $ 1 per GB of usable capacity (over 50% less than the rival Hybrid Ultra-integration solutions).
- Scale-up or Scale-out nondestructive detailed: Open NDT (Non-Disruptive) capacity and performance by adding Host to a Cluster (Scale-Out) or just grow capacity by adding disks to a Host, or Scale- Up is done.
- Eliminating data duplication and compression: remove duplicate data and software-based compression, optimize capacity Storage All-Flash and up to 7-fold reduced CPU overhead and memory provides a minimum.
Erasure Coding : Erasure Coding increases the available storage capacity by up to 100%, while not changing the data resiliency. Erasure Coding with Single Parity or Double Parity protection can withstand one or two failures.
- VSAN Encryption : Native vSAN encryption provides Data-At-Rest security at the cluster level and supports all vSAN features including space efficiency features such as duplicate data and compression. Multi-click vSAN encryption is built for versatility requirements and provides Simple Key-Management with support for all KMIP compatible key managers such as CloudLink, Hytrust, SafeNet, Thales and Vormetric. VSAN encryption is approved by FIPS 140-2 and complies with stringent US federal standards.
- Clusters Stretch with conservation Local : creating a powerful Stretched Cluster and Local conservation site between two sites that are in two separate locations and synchronous data mirroring between sites is. It provides enterprise-level accessibility that can withstand the full crash of a site as well as the loss of almost zero data loss and downtime. Users can set up partial and precise protection for each virtual machine at a 50% lower cost than traditional solutions, and change policies non-disruptively.
- Quality of Service or QoS : QoS controls, now available in all versions of vSAN, limit and monitor IOPS used by certain virtual machines and fix Noisy Neighbor problems.
- VSAN Performance Verification Services : Performance Verification Services provides hardware compliance monitoring, performance monitoring, reporting, and storage capacity detection seamlessly and directly from the VMware vCenter Server.
- iSCSI Access : vSAN Now in its new release (vSAN 6.7) it can support Windows Server Failover Cluster technology or WSFC for short and manage more Business Critical Applications through a single HCI data center silo solution. vSAN Storage can be provided as an iSCSI destination for physical workloads. All major functions are available and managed through vCenter.
- vSAN Support Insight : vSAN Support Insight helps keep vSAN running optimally and thus saves time by providing real-time support information and practical suggestions during monitoring and troubleshooting. The analytics tool can also optimize performance for specific scenarios with the proposed settings.
- 2-Node Direct Connect : Saves 20% per site by eliminating the need to switch between servers in a 2-Node implementation. Crossover cables are used to connect servers directly, simply and reliably.
- Full-Featured PowerCLI: vSAN provides the convenience and scalability of enterprise-level automation with a suite of Full-Featured PowerCLI Cmdlets. New SDK updates and APIs enable more enterprise-level automation with support for REST APIs.
- Built-in crash tolerance and enhanced accessibility: vSAN uses Distributed RAID and Cache Mirroring to ensure that data will never be lost if a disk, host, network or rack crashes. vSAN seamlessly supports vSphere accessibility features, such as FT, HA, and more. vSphere Replication for vSAN provides asynchronous VM synchronization with PROs for up to 5 minutes. The new Always-On features provide a high-availability management stack independent of vCenter and accelerate recovery with clever refurbishments.
- Project Hatchway : This provides permanent storage for Containers. Organizations want to use Container technology to run stateful applications with centralized data such as databases and cloud-based applications. One of the major obstacles to the shortage of pre-defined permanent storage solutions in the Container ecosystem is that it requires a robust, flexible and programmable storage infrastructure with a level of security, data integrity, high availability and storage services that come from one infrastructure. Modern IT is expected.
Project Hatchway solves this problem in the vSphere environment by providing permanent storage for Container environments implemented on the superhuman infrastructure enabled by VMware vSAN. Project Hatchway provides deep integration between vSAN and Container adjusters, such as Docker Swarm and Kubernetes to meet DevOps requirements.