Previously, in a separate article, we trained the virtual machine transfer method between the two ESXis by the Backup and Restore process automatically. ( In this article ) this time we will explain a much simpler solution. This is called Veeam Quick Migration.
Water for Quick Migration
The ability to quickly migrate helps to transfer one or more virtual machines between two ESXi hosts or different data viewers. Interestingly, there's no need to turn off the virtual machine like vMotion in vCenter. The likelihood of service crash is also very low.
In order to use this feature, Veeam Backup and Replication first examines the virtual environment, including the configurations and virtual machine status, and guesses the best way to transfer it. If the vCenter feature can be transmitted, the request will be sent to vCeneter and the operation will begin. But if there are no vCenter servers in your virtual infrastructure and therefore vMotion is not enabled, then VM will be transferred to other specific methods, generally called Veeam Quick Migration.
We will review the steps involved in this transition, and in the next article, using Step by Step, we'll show you how you can do this.
First, you should know that, as previously mentioned, Veeam Quick Migration is referred to as a set of methods. It also only happens if vMotion is not active (unless Force has been used to not use vMotion). Finally, there are two types of VM Migration that Veeam Backup and Replication will decide on between them, and the user There is no involvement in it. These two types are With SmartSwitch or Hot VM Migration and With Cold Switch or Cold VM Migration
We will see how the choice between Cold Switch and Hot Switch is.
- In the first step, Veeam Backup and Replication will copy and register the VM Configuration VMX file in the destination host.
- A snapshot of the virtual machine will be provided and the content of the discs will be copied onto the destination host.
- Now the status of the virtual machine (on, off) and any changes that occurred after the snapshot until the full copy of the contents of the discs occurred on the virtual machine operating system will be transferred to the new destination.
- Here, if the ESXi hosts use both of the Compatible CPUs, Transmission occurs using SmartSwitch . As a result, Request Timed Out reaches its lowest level. (Maybe as many seconds)
- If the hosts are equipped with ESXi with non-compatible processors, then the need for transfer through the Cold Switch will be required. In this situation, the virtual machine is shut down in the host's host. Changes after the snapshot are applied to the virtual machine in the destination host. Then the virtual machine will light up. For this reason, Down Time is more than Hot VM Migration. (Within minutes)
In the next article, the Veeam Quick Migration method, along with the illustrations provided, will be described in the real environment and Production.